Install Real Player
The Repository Method
- Open the package manager used by your Ubuntu distro. It will be Muon, Synaptic or KPackage.
- Search for and install Real Player
Or use a terminal and type
sudo apt-get install realplayer.
The Non-Repository Method (for all users)
- visit the Real Player website and download the version of Real Player that best suits your desktop environment
- Open the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions
You will need to install the correct codecs to enable you to play Windows wav, Real Player and Quicktime formats. More about installing the codecs can be found here at Medibuntu.
If the program cannot be activated through the programs menu, run it through the command line by typing realplay in a terminal. Alternatively, manually add it to your programs menu.
Install 64 bit Flash for Firefox
Follow these instructions if Flash is not available from your Linux OS repository.
- Uninstall the present version of Flash by typing or pasting the following lines into a terminal:
PHP1sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash nspluginwrapper swfdec-mozilla
- Visit the Adobe website to download the 64 bit Flash plugin.
- Open a terminal and locate the Firefox directories by typing
Ignore the bin directory (e.g /usr/bin/firefox/
Each of the listed directories will have a plugins folder (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox/plugins and /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins). Use your file manager to copy the downloaded plugin file to each of those directories. If the file is compressed (zipped), uncompress it before copying it over. If you have permission errors then start your file manager from a terminal with kdesudo dolphin (for KDE users) or gksu nautilus (for Gnome users) and you those permission errors will quickly vanish.