WordPress Invite Facebook Friends Button Plugin

Add an Invite Facebook Friends button to any WordPress website with the Facebook Friends Inviter Plugin. This is a new free plugin from the stable of JournalXtra and VizRED.

This WordPress plugin adds customizable text links and customizable graphic buttons that are visible to anyone who visits your WordPress site. Key benefits of the plugin include:

• Facebook Requests Graphic Button
  • Facebook Requests Link Button
  • Seamless friend requests selector
  • FB Friends request widgets – as many widgets as you want to use
  • FB Friend inviter shortcodes – as many shortcodes as you want to use
  • Customizable link text
  • Customizable button
  • Put the button or text link anywhere within your site
  • Set button/text width
  • Set button/text alignment

We know of one other WP plugin that lets you put a button for site visitors to click and invite their Facebook friends to visit your site. That plugin requires other plugins to be installed. Our plugin is standalone. It does what it says and nothing more, nothing less. Our plugin is free.

You could use the Facebook request code in raw format within your site but why do that when you can use a plugin that makes the process easier, quicker and tidier!

The look!

The easiest way to get your visitors to bring their Facebook friends to your party

The Widget

The widget can be placed in any widget area. Put it in a sidebar, in your header, in your footer… Put it wherever you have a widget area.

Display your button using custom text or a custom button. Can’t think of a button image to use? Use the default settings.

The widget has 10 settings

• Widget Title
  • Show Title
  • Dialogue Box Title
  • Message
  • App ID
  • Button Text
  • Button Image
  • Force Image Use
  • Button Width
  • Alignment

Widget Title is the title of the widget.

Show Title determines whether the widget title shows at all.

Dialogue Box Title sets the title of the Facebook friends selector popup box.

Message is the message shown in the Facebook friends selector popup box.

App ID is your Facebook App ID. Instructions for getting an app ID are shown below.

Button Text is the text used for your FB invite link. Leave as blank to show the default button image.

Button Image is for a custom button image URL. The default button is used if no URL is stated.

Force button use? Forces a button image to be used even if anchor text for a text link is stated in the Button text field.

Button Width lets you specify the pixel/percentage width of the button image and button text.

Alignment lets you choose whether the button should be left, center or right aligned.

The Shortcode

The [[fib]] shortcode lets you place a button anywhere in your site where a shortcode can be used. It has two attributes:

• title
  • message
  • text
  • image
  • appid
  • width
  • align

title=”” sets the title of the Facebook friends selector popup box.

message=”” sets the message shown in the Facebook friends selector popup box.

text=”” is the text used as your ‘invite friends’ link. Leave empty to display the default inviter button.

image=”” lets you specify an alternate button image. text=”” overrides any image setting.

appid=”” is your Facebook App ID (instructions above).

width=”” lets you specify the button width. You must add the unit of measure e.g px or %.

align=”” let you choose button alignment. Options are left, center and right. The default value is ‘center’.

Only two attributes need to be set for the button to work: message and appid.

The shortcode used with all attributes could look like:

[[fib title="Invite friends to join" message="Learn exciting new stuff at example.com!" text="Click to invite friends" image="http://example.com" appid="123456789"]]

Both the title and message attributes default to ‘Invite Friends’.

The text attribute overrides the image attribute.

How to get your Facebook AppID

You need a Facebook App ID to be able to use the inviter plugin. Just follow these steps to make your app.

1. Go to Facebook Developers
  2. Create a developers account if you do not already have one
  3. Click Apps in the top menu
  4. Click Create New App at the top right of the page, below the main menu
  5. Give your app a Display Name and Namespace. These can be the same. By doing this you are effectively naming your app within Facebook and giving it a URL
  6. Add a contact email
  7. Type in the domain name of the site that this plugin is installed in. Leave out the http://www bit. Enter the domain name only e.g example.com. Do not use a trailing slash
  8. Disable sandbox mode (we’re not testing, are we?)
  9. Under Website with Facebook Login, enter the domain of the site that hosts this plugin. This time enter the protocol and the subdomain name if required e.g http://example.com/ or http://www.example.com/. Best way to get the proper domain is to go to the site’s homepage and copy the URL from the browser address bar. Use a trailing slash
  10. Save changes
  11. Copy the App ID from the top of the Basic settings page
  12. You can set an avatar image from the Basic settings page by clicking edit when hovering over the default app avatar image. You add further details about your app from the App Details page
  13. Use the App ID in the FacebookInviter widget’s settings or us it in the shortcode’s appid=”” attribute.

FAQs

None yet!

Download from WordPress. The above download button should grab the download from WordPress. If it doesn’t you can get it here.

Comments

• says

The plugin folder had uploaded inside another folder. Have corrected this. Download the plugin again. It will now work. Thanks for letting me know.

• says

Hi, this plugin is for WordPress sites. I’ll repeat the instructions again for you:

1) login to your WordPress site
      2) navigate to Plugins > Add New
      3) Type in ‘Facebook Friends Inviter’ then run the search
      4) Click ‘install’ under ‘Facebook Friends Inviter’.

You will find the plugin widget under Appearance > Widgets. It is labelled as ‘Facebook Inviter’. Drag the widget to your sidebar and configure the settings.

Instructions for creating your Facebook App (to get a Facebook App ID) are in the post about the widget, above.

1. anfeloga says

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

It really works and better than any paid plugin. An enhancement suggestion: it would be great if You could use it also as a locker, I mean, than You could hide any text or code and show it when the user invites a select number or friends.

• says

Hi Anfeloga, you’re very welcome.

I thought about adding an option to lock content but I opted to keep the plugin as simple as possible. I might add content locking at a later date but I don’t know when that might be.

• says

Hi Mishka, it works for me when I tested your page so I’m guessing you solved it.

Good luck saving the wolves.

As a note to other users, using single quotes in the FB popup box title/message can prevent the popup working.

2. says

Whenever I try to save my AppID to the widget it keeps reverting to a different number? and if I click my new link it does nothing. I have reread the instructions and followed them exactly but no luck.

3. says

Yes, it consists of 15 digits, all numbers. But..when I add my AppID in the widget box I can see the proper numbers until I click save, then the numbers change to a 10 digit number (2147483647). When I click the link I get a popup with an error. My site is http://cgfinder.com/

4. says

I am not understandig. it consists of 15 digits, all numbers. But..when I add my AppID in the widget box I can see the proper numbers until I click save, then the numbers change to a 10 digit number (2147483647). When I click the link I get a popup with an error. My site is http;//funtu.in/

• says

Hi, this happens with 32 bit servers because they’re unable to use numbers greater than 2147483647. I’ve released version 1.0.5 which fixes this issue. You should get an update notice within the next 60 minutes.

5. marius says

1. How can i set the plugin to select automatic and by default all the friends in the popup window?
    2. Can i set a page on my website with only the popup window?

thanks

6. VSouq says

Hello there! So far so good! I have successfully applied this app to my site and I think its going to be great! However, anytime i change the message with attributes, the button does not take me to the facebook invite window anymore. It’s only when i keep it simple [fib appid="15#'s"] do i get the proper direction and connecting window. Is there something I am doing wrong? Please help. Thanks!

• says

I tested the attributes quite extensively during development and post development. My guess is that you’re using characters that are not permitted by the plugin. Stick to using letters and numbers and you should be okay.

7. IvanCherepukhin says

Hi, Lee! Big thanks for this amazing plugin!

I need you help, cause I’m deeply amazed by the bug I get.

I’ve installed your great plugin and everything was fine, but once it had stopped working and started to show “An error occurred. Please try later”. I’ve reinstalled the plugin, but it’s not working anymore! I’ve checked all things ten times and after a hour of trying different fixes I’ve found that the plugin use only one ID – 276513202375028.

Neither I change ID in shortcode, not directly change app Id in the plugin’s code not working and EVEN DEFAULT TAG [fib] after reinstall give me this url: https://www.facebook.com/dialog/apprequests?title=Invite%20Friends&message=Invite%20Friends&e2e=%7B%7D&app_id=276513202375028&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&display=popup&frictionless=true&next=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D24%23cb%3Df2267b498c%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcornerstore.ru%252Ff3bcc2224%26domain%3Dcornerstore.ru%26relation%3Dopener%26frame%3Df25de4c%26result%3D%2522xxRESULTTOKENxx%2522

So, I’m deeply amazed. Any idea where does these fucking ID come from?

8. ben says

it doesnt seem to be working for me, from a user standpoint.

i have 3 accounts on facebook. i tried inviting my real self to my fake safe on your website (as well as other’s websites that are left in these comments)

when i log into my fake facebook accounts, i do not see any invitation request. ive tried this on multiple websites (above) as well as with multiple facebook accounts.

could there be a reason i am not receiving the invitation? i figured it would show up in facebook’s Notification settings or inbox, yes?

9. says

I have followed your instructions for obtaining a Facebook AppID
    but get this error code when I try to use the button.
    API Error Code: 100
    API Error Description: Invalid parameter
    Error Message: The parameter message is required

I tried to find a solution on Google, but unfortunately all explanations go far too deeply into coding issues. Is there a simple way I can remedy this. Thanks for your help.

M.

10. says

Hi

I have followed the instructions and I am desperate to get this working.

I also find everything appears to work great but no invites are actually being sent…

Any feedback would make my day!

11. sid narola says

Hi Lee hodson,
    I found that this is the greate plugin to use but whenever I am sending request from “facebook invite friends pop-up”. it’s just closed and do not send any “message”,”notification” or “request”. Please help me for this.. This is very urgent..

12. Chris says

As of July 10th, 2013 Facebook has applied a policy that blocks apps from selecting more than one person. It appears that this plugin will not work. I came to this conclusion by rebuilding the entire plugin from scratch using Facebook’s documentation to see if I could get it to work. You can view Facebook’s notice at the end of the following page: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/concepts/requests/

13. Emil says

Thought I would add this one… It is working and it is sending to multiple friends when I tested it out today.

The notification just goes straight into app request… you can see the notification light up for a split second and then it just goes back to no pending notifications

14. says

Hello, when you make a call the request does not remain in the notifications of the person to whom it was sent, it changed anything so why not work! Thank you in advance for your answer. Marco

• says

Hi Marco. Facebook changed its API. I need to fix the plugin (if possible). Won’t be able to work on the plugin for a while yet.

15. says

Hi Lee. This Plugin is exactly what I need but because Facebook has changed its API it’s not working. I see from your posts that you are busy but is there nothing that can be done besides praying for you to find time to work on the plugin? :) Much appreciated!

16. says

This plugin is not working ,
    I have installed it to my wordpress site and when i am trying to send the invitation on my facebook friends. It actually does not send any type of link or notification to my facebook friends.

17. says

Hi Lee, im the author of WordPress Social Invitations and i will be glad to answer any question you have. Thanks for mentioning my plugin :D

18. Ca says

Hello. thanks for your plugin. i have a cuestion. this plugin have a code to insert the button into the .php template pages? no the shorcode i talk about the code.

• says

Hi Murilo, I can tell you what you’re doing wrong: You’re not reading the post about the plugin or the notice above the post or the comments above yours.

This plugin no longer works. The notice at the top of this post points to a plugin that should work.

Thank you for posting Murilo.

19. dutycorpse says

Hi, i had install your plugin, it’s work but when i sent my request to my friend he don’t receive the notfication to invite in my website. I don’t understand this problem, i have enter just my appid.

20. says

Hello, Facebook Developers has changed since you entered your instructions for how to get an App ID. I would like to use your plugin but I have been unsuccessful in setting it up. Each time I get the following: ”

“Given URL is not permitted by the application configuration.: One or more of the given URLs is not allowed by the App’s settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App’s domains.”

What does this mean? What can I do? Please help. All the forums that I have viewed offer no help. Thank you!

21. adzvillage says

This plugin is awesome, but one thing I realise that its not working with firefox! It works well with the other browsers that I tried

22. says

awesome plugin – thank you!

when a friend accepts the invite on FB, it brings them to the app on facebook, rather than the website – is there a way to make it go straight to the website’s registration form, or at least homepage?

23. maurizio says

Ho scaricato ed installato il plugin tenendo conto dei vostri problemi e considerazioni. Una domanda.
    Ho installato tutto “credo” correttamente visto che il plugin funziona, l’unica cosa che non capisco è perche ogni volta che invito qualcuno non riesce a vedere la notifica da nessuna parte? L’unica cosa che si visualizza è una notifica nel profilo ma che scompare subito dopo 2 secondi. In pratica sembra che invia l’invito non appena l’utente invitato accede al proprio profilo vede una notifica ma non appena clicca sull’icona mondo di Facebook la notifica sparisce e non si vede nessun nuovo invito o segnalazione.
    Avete anche voi questo problema?

24. says

Hi!
    Is there a way to count how many invites the user sent and save that to WordPress Database?
    I’m planning to use this plugin for a project that requires such feature and I’m wondering if you have an idea of how can I customize it to help me out with it.

Thank you!