Part Three: Mirroring Settings
I have looked and not found an easy way to export and import plugin and WordPress settings. Were I a plugin developer I would definitely buy myself some traffic by creating one. I’m sorry but there is only one way to transfer the settings from your old (exported) WordPress site into your new WordPress site; it must be done manually.
Some plugins and some themes have an import and export option built into them. I recommend the themes Suffusion and Atahualpa for that reason. I believe the Redirection plugin lets you import and export redirections; and some shopping carts allow their settings to be exported and imported. Check your plugins to see if any let you export their settings – it could save you a bit of time.
Mirroring the old site’s settings in the new site is easier said than you might think:
- Activate the plugins required for the new site from within the new site’s backend.
- View the admin panel for both the old and new site in different tabs of the same browser window.
- Go through the settings of the old site, one-by-one, and configure the new site to match them.
- Point your web browser to the new site’s URL (new.domain.tld) and be sure that it functions as the old site did and as you want the new site to function.
If the site is successfully mirrored
- Go to Super Admin>Sites.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the name of the site you wish to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Under Site Info (wp_blogs)
- change the site’s domain name to that of the old site.
- Under every other available setting, update all URLs to match the site’s new name. For example, if the old site is at old.domain.tld and the new site is at new.domain.tld, you should have changed new.domain.tld to old.domain.tld and every occurrence of new.domain.tld should be changed to old.domain.tld.
- Click “Update Options”.
DO NOT VIEW THE SITE JUST YET – YOU WILL ONLY SEE THE ORIGINAL ONE IF YOU DO